... we take a conference talk - one a week and we read it and discuss it on this site. New conference talk starts on Monday - and finishes up on Sunday. Multiple thoughts are encouraged, examples of how this talk has been meaningful to you ... in general & throughout the week. Most of all we have fun exploring the Conference Talks and learning and sharing from great friends!!!!
OK That was an amazing talk!!! Wow! May I first start off by saying there is a reason why this talk was given to the Priesthood and not in the General Relief Society meeting ... because the women and their guilt would have just been too much .. because I who don't have guilt was really feeling some major guilt throughout this talk!
I absolutely love how he described it all - broke it down and then built it back up in focus of the Savior ... We are here to roll up our sleeves and go to work. We are enlisted in no ordinary task. We are called to prepare the world for the coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We seek not our own honor but give praise and glory to God. ...In this, as in all things, Jesus Christ is our perfect example. Whereas Lucifer tried to change the Father’s plan of salvation and obtain honor for himself, the Savior said, “Father, thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever.” Despite His magnificent abilities and accomplishments, the Savior was always meek and humble. Brethren, we hold “the Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of God.” It is the power God has granted to men on earth to act for Him. In order to exercise His power, we must strive to be like the Savior. This means that in all things we seek to do the will of the Father, just as the Savior did. It means that we give all glory to the Father, just as the Savior did. It means that we lose ourselves in the service of others, just as the Savior did.
I just love the attitude that is - to follow the Savior - to act as He did - to act for Him ... we can still act we can still do - we just need to do it ALWAYS for the purpose of serving our Heavenly Father and always keep Him as the focus not me.
I just loved it - and I plan on listening to it again and again .. but before I do - I just had to weigh in ... this is a full talk! I know I have much to work on and I am grateful for the whisperings of the Holy Ghost as I listened that highlighted those specifics just for me - how I can alter and improve my life to be BETTER - but better as a servant of my Heavenly Father and that makes me really proud! (grin) - Love you all! goodnight!
what a great talk! I have been feeling a little Blah the last few days, not really wanting to deal with life. Not going through the day with a real purpose.Just subsisting. I needed this spiritual boost. I need to refocus on others and not on myself. I need to be a pen in the Lord's hand! My favorite part of the talk was: "Some suppose that humility is about beating ourselves up. Humility does not mean convincing ourselves that we are worthless, meaningless, or of little value. Nor does it mean denying or withholding the talents God has given us. We don’t discover humility by thinking less of ourselves; we discover humility by thinking less about ourselves. It comes as we go about our work with an attitude of serving God and our fellowman." I appreciate the spiritual shot in the arm. especially this morning.Have a great day!
Hey everyone! His definitions are so clear and I love them. I struggled a bit with not feeling the guilt. :) "There is a difference between being proud of certain things and being prideful" I love that we can be proud of our kids and build them up. I think it is so important. Someone once told me we should be proud of our kids "efforts to try" not just "the accomplishment" which I love. Focusing on the effort not the result.
I also love "At its core, pride is a sin of comparison, for though it usually begins with “Look how wonderful I am and what great things I have done,” it always seems to end with “Therefore, I am better than you.”
When we love ourselves and others for who they are without comparison it is a beautiful thing. I was out doing some marketing at some apartments in Eagle Mountain, just after listening to this talk. I would see 4 little kids bikes in front of the door and realized, "Wow they pack a whole family in there" How do they do it? I started judging them, feeling bad for them, comparing them. I do real estate for a living which is comparing home values etc. I find that my pride can show up big time in greed and envy.
Tammy I also loved the quote you put up on "Some suppose that humility is about beating ourselves up. Humility does not mean convincing ourselves that we are worthless, meaningless, or of little value. Nor does it mean denying or withholding the talents God has given us. We don’t discover humility by thinking less of ourselves; we discover humility by thinking less about ourselves. I could read that every day and get something out of it. Because like Cecia said, It is very easy as women to feel the guilt. This explains that we don't have to beat ourselves up, think we are worthless or of little value. I think we as women struggle more with beating ourselves up(at least I do) than pride to be honest. I'm not saying i don't have pride cuz I do. I think in listening to this talk after being at my lowest point, having gone through a divorce recently. To me the final message was as a woman I can have humilty and convince myself that I am worthy, meaningful, of great value, and can share my talents etc.
The other day I wrote a "woe is me" post on my blog and this talk is EXACTLY what I needed to snap out of it. There are so many messages in this talk that I need in my life right now. As a couple of you have already mentioned, I love the idea of thinking less ABOUT ourselves. That is such an incredible blessing we are given in the gospel...we are given endless opportunities to serve others and look outside of ourselves.
Another thing that stuck out to me was when he talked about not "inhaling". When I got divorced, I had everyone who knew me telling me how great I was, and how terrible he was. At that time, I was so vulnerable and I definitely "inhaled" every word and became prideful towards Dee. Honestly, it took until I moved to Virginia to be able to see things more clearly and understand the role that I played in our marriage failing. I learned a lot from being able to swallow my pride and see where I had been wrong. I know that my children will be blessed in the future because we were able to mend that relationship and move forward. Elder Uchtdorf quoted this scripture, "God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.” I definitely don't want God to "resist" being an influence in my daily life, and I am going to try hard to eliminate pride in all aspects of my life. "We are here to roll up our sleeves and go to work."...and that is what I plan to do. :)
I love you guys. This talk has made a HUGE impact on my week and I can't wait for the next one!!! :)
OK That was an amazing talk!!! Wow! May I first start off by saying there is a reason why this talk was given to the Priesthood and not in the General Relief Society meeting ... because the women and their guilt would have just been too much .. because I who don't have guilt was really feeling some major guilt throughout this talk!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love how he described it all - broke it down and then built it back up in focus of the Savior ...
We are here to roll up our sleeves and go to work. We are enlisted in no ordinary task. We are called to prepare the world for the coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We seek not our own honor but give praise and glory to God.
...In this, as in all things, Jesus Christ is our perfect example. Whereas Lucifer tried to change the Father’s plan of salvation and obtain honor for himself, the Savior said, “Father, thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever.” Despite His magnificent abilities and accomplishments, the Savior was always meek and humble.
Brethren, we hold “the Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of God.” It is the power God has granted to men on earth to act for Him. In order to exercise His power, we must strive to be like the Savior. This means that in all things we seek to do the will of the Father, just as the Savior did. It means that we give all glory to the Father, just as the Savior did. It means that we lose ourselves in the service of others, just as the Savior did.
I just love the attitude that is - to follow the Savior - to act as He did - to act for Him ... we can still act we can still do - we just need to do it ALWAYS for the purpose of serving our Heavenly Father and always keep Him as the focus not me.
I just loved it - and I plan on listening to it again and again .. but before I do - I just had to weigh in ... this is a full talk! I know I have much to work on and I am grateful for the whisperings of the Holy Ghost as I listened that highlighted those specifics just for me - how I can alter and improve my life to be BETTER - but better as a servant of my Heavenly Father and that makes me really proud! (grin) - Love you all! goodnight!
what a great talk! I have been feeling a little Blah the last few days, not really wanting to deal with life. Not going through the day with a real purpose.Just subsisting. I needed this spiritual boost. I need to refocus on others and not on myself. I need to be a pen in the Lord's hand! My favorite part of the talk was:
ReplyDelete"Some suppose that humility is about beating ourselves up. Humility does not mean convincing ourselves that we are worthless, meaningless, or of little value. Nor does it mean denying or withholding the talents God has given us. We don’t discover humility by thinking less of ourselves; we discover humility by thinking less about ourselves. It comes as we go about our work with an attitude of serving God and our fellowman."
I appreciate the spiritual shot in the arm. especially this morning.Have a great day!
Hey everyone! His definitions are so clear and I love them. I struggled a bit with not feeling the guilt. :)
ReplyDelete"There is a difference between being proud of certain things and being prideful" I love that we can be proud of our kids and build them up. I think it is so important. Someone once told me we should be proud of our kids "efforts to try" not just "the accomplishment" which I love. Focusing on the effort not the result.
I also love "At its core, pride is a sin of comparison, for though it usually begins with “Look how wonderful I am and what great things I have done,” it always seems to end with “Therefore, I am better than you.”
When we love ourselves and others for who they are without comparison it is a beautiful thing. I was out doing some marketing at some apartments in Eagle Mountain, just after listening to this talk. I would see 4 little kids bikes in front of the door and realized, "Wow they pack a whole family in there" How do they do it? I started judging them, feeling bad for them, comparing them. I do real estate for a living which is comparing home values etc. I find that my pride can show up big time in greed and envy.
Tammy I also loved the quote you put up on "Some suppose that humility is about beating ourselves up. Humility does not mean convincing ourselves that we are worthless, meaningless, or of little value. Nor does it mean denying or withholding the talents God has given us. We don’t discover humility by thinking less of ourselves; we discover humility by thinking less about ourselves.
I could read that every day and get something out of it. Because like Cecia said, It is very easy as women to feel the guilt. This explains that we don't have to beat ourselves up, think we are worthless or of little value. I think we as women struggle more with beating ourselves up(at least I do) than pride to be honest. I'm not saying i don't have pride cuz I do. I think in listening to this talk after being at my lowest point, having gone through a divorce recently. To me the final message was as a woman I can have humilty and convince myself that I am worthy, meaningful, of great value, and can share my talents etc.
First of all, welcome Emily...I love you.
ReplyDeleteThe other day I wrote a "woe is me" post on my blog and this talk is EXACTLY what I needed to snap out of it. There are so many messages in this talk that I need in my life right now. As a couple of you have already mentioned, I love the idea of thinking less ABOUT ourselves. That is such an incredible blessing we are given in the gospel...we are given endless opportunities to serve others and look outside of ourselves.
Another thing that stuck out to me was when he talked about not "inhaling". When I got divorced, I had everyone who knew me telling me how great I was, and how terrible he was. At that time, I was so vulnerable and I definitely "inhaled" every word and became prideful towards Dee. Honestly, it took until I moved to Virginia to be able to see things more clearly and understand the role that I played in our marriage failing. I learned a lot from being able to swallow my pride and see where I had been wrong. I know that my children will be blessed in the future because we were able to mend that relationship and move forward.
Elder Uchtdorf quoted this scripture, "God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.” I definitely don't want God to "resist" being an influence in my daily life, and I am going to try hard to eliminate pride in all aspects of my life.
"We are here to roll up our sleeves and go to work."...and that is what I plan to do. :)
I love you guys. This talk has made a HUGE impact on my week and I can't wait for the next one!!! :)