Monday, November 22, 2010

Bishop Edgley on Faith, Saturday afternoon

Talk #5-Bishop Richard C. Edgley, Saturday afternoon session


This weeks talk was chosen by Emily! Yea! Go ahead and click it and enjoy ... of note you can ALWAYS go back and comment on previous talks ... even if the week flew by and you never had a chance to get to the previous one(s).

Have a wonderful week women!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Ladies,
    just a quick little thank you for all of your insights and experiences. I appreciate this whole process so much. It has been a real blessing to listen to these talks again and really ponder them and then hear all of your wonderful thoughts as well.
    So about 5 years ago I gave a talk on Faith in Sacrament meeting. Specifically that Faith was an action, that you had to act upon it to obtain it and then for it to grow. This talk helped to remind me, even AWAKEN me to remembering that I must act on my faith. I need to choose to be faithful, to push fear and uncertainty out of my life and know that if I am following my Savior I will be blessed with a knowledge that I am on his side and following his plan for me.
    I loved the scriptures on action:

    "If confusion and hopelessness weigh on your mind, choose to “awake and arouse your faculties” (Alma 32:27). Humbly approaching the Lord with a broken heart and contrite spirit is the pathway to truth and the Lord’s way of light, knowledge, and peace."

    "If your faith is proven and mature, choose to nurture it “with great care” (Alma 32:37). As strong as our faith is, with all the mixed messages attacking it, it can also become very fragile. It needs constant nourishment through continued scripture study, prayer, and the application of His word."

    This talk was such a good reminder to act on the Faith and Knowledge I have developed in my life. TO CHOOSE to be faithful and seek the Lord in all things and even to act even when the path is not clearly in front of me. I need to seek the Faith of a mustard seed so I can move Mountains in my own life as well as for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite quotes are from Tammy above and the following...
    "...a choice of peace and protection and a choice that is appropriate for all. That choice is faith. Be aware that faith is not a free gift given without thought, desire, or effort. It does not come as the dew falls from heaven."
    I love how he explains our personal responsibility to obtain Faith. Like Charity and gratitude...it is gained by practicing it!!!

    "Choose faith over doubt, choose faith over fear, choose faith over the unknown and the unseen, and choose faith over pessimism. we are responsible for our own faith. We are also responsible for our lack of faith. The choice is yours." FAITH IS A CHOICE.

    "When logic, reason, or personal intellect come into conflict with sacred teachings and doctrine, or conflicting messages assault your beliefs as the fiery darts described by the Apostle Paul (see Ephesians 6:16), choose to not cast the seed out of your heart by unbelief. Remember, we receive not a witness until after the trial of our faith (see Ether 12:6)."
    I love this quote because my logic and reason don't usually come in conflict with the teachings...however I have discovered that my logic and reason keep me from experiencing the divine sometimes. Sometimes I talk myself out of promptings or decisions. letting go of logic and tuning into my heart has become one of the greatest gifts I have received over the last year. My new motto is play dumb. :)

    "I have never witnessed the removal of an actual mountain. But because of faith I have seen a mountain of doubt and despair removed and replaced with hope and optimism. Because of faith I have personally witnessed a mountain of sin replaced with repentance and forgiveness. And because of faith I have personally witnessed a mountain of pain replaced with peace, hope, and gratitude. Yes, I have seen mountains removed."

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK ladies...I have read and listened to this talk and I love it. BUT...I have been sick for 10 days, and found out today that Kade has PNEUMONIA. Easton is sick as well, so once I am able to re-join the living I plan on commenting on this talk. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have truly been excited to comment on this wonderful talk as I have enjoyed listening to it numerous times ... my posting just unfortunately fell under a mountain of to-do's! I am happy to report the mountain has been chiseled at to at least uncover this talk! (grin)

    What a wonderful PEP TALK!!! What a wonderful encouragement to CHOOSE FAITH! To awake - to spring into action! To truly exercise faith! I too love that it is a choice - a choice, a desire, an attitude, and effort. The more we learn about the Gospel the simpler it becomes ... and also we can see it is up to us to WORK - to take responsibility - and to cultivate a desire to Have the Holy Ghost, to Focus on serving others not ourselves, to Be Kind to Others, to look outward ... this is not a Gospel for self - it is a Gospel of LOVE!
    To follow that point - I love the analogy of faith as a mustard seed that we need to plant and cultivate it as it grows - feed it - care for it - pay attention to it ... then
    • If your faith is proven and mature, choose to nurture it “with great care” (Alma 32:37). As strong as our faith is, with all the mixed messages attacking it, it can also become very fragile. It needs constant nourishment through continued scripture study, prayer, and the application of His word.

    I can't help but think of a beautiful Versailles or a well kept manicured Japanese garden can be like our 'mature faith' - it still needs to be carefully watered, and kept .. and THEN it can be a place of beauty and refuge of Peace for others to come and enjoy. Much like others can find comfort in our faith as they start planting their own seeds. I like that!

    I was also impressed by following the faith of the Savior ..
    And because of faith I have personally witnessed a mountain of pain replaced with peace, hope, and gratitude. Yes, I have seen mountains removed.
    I couldn't help but think of Emily Jones - and when she lost her husband to death - how she rose above what must have been a tremendous mountain to show forth to all peace and hope in an eternal future.
    I love the pep talk from the General Authority, the walking example of faith from the amazing people in my life (you all very much included), the trials of my own faith where my garden has been pruned, manicured, and given special attention by the Master, and the sweet Spirit that does witness to me that I can increase my desire and choose faith and all that desire and more ... I know I will have!
    I am so grateful for the righteous power of the Gospel that truly can and does conquer all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great talk. Thanks Em. Here are some of my favorite parts...
    "The continual bombardment of such messages may cause confusion, doubt, and pessimism, each attacking the fundamental truths we believe in, our faith in God, and our hope in the future. This might be the reality of our world, but we can still choose how we react to it."

    We don't have to buy in to the messages that the world is selling us. We have a choice every day. We have a choice in how we speak, what we watch, what we believe, etc. I am so grateful that the message of the gospel is the exact opposite of the message of the world.

    "I wish to suggest a single choice—a choice of peace and protection and a choice that is appropriate for all. That choice is faith."

    Since listening to this talk I have been thinking about what I am choosing in any given moment. When I get upset with my kids...am I choosing faith? When I am too tired to kneel down for my personal prayers...am I choosing faith? When I take a minute to teach my children a gospel principle...how do I feel? We are promised in this talk that the choice of faith will bring us peace and protection. I have been more conscious of the choices that I make that DO bring that feeling of peace and protection.

    "And because of faith I have personally witnessed a mountain of pain replaced with peace, hope, and gratitude. Yes, I have seen mountains removed."

    I can testify that I have seen mountains removed. I have witnessed so many miracles in my life. I am so grateful for the principle of faith and the opportunity to believe in something that is so inspiring. You are all such great examples to me and women who choose faith every day.

    ReplyDelete