Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Elder Scott, on Faith & Character, Saturday

Talk #6-Elder Richard G. Scott, Saturday afternoon session


This weeks talk was chosen by Jessica! Yea! Go ahead and click it and enjoy ... of note you can ALWAYS go back and comment on previous talks ... even if the Holiday/Sickness weeks fly by and you never had a chance to get to the previous one(s).

No guilt - just great Gospel moments!

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful talk! A favorite was thinking about the Savior using 'faith' - I know I think of us needing faith but what about the Savior's faith? I loved how he said that the Savior 'uses faith in His capacity to act under the direction of Father in Heaven.' and that he used faith to create the World! What a beautiful concept to witness our Savior using faith - what an example!

    I have to say that just today I was thinking that if I were to write down 'last thoughts' (morbid I know) to my children if I were to die today - I would want them to know that I have never been happier as I am currently right now in my life! & The key to my current happiness is that I am full of faith in my Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. I am reading daily from the scriptures, I am praying daily, and my DESIRE is to be closer to the Lord and to have the Holy Ghost with me ... I am not perfect, no far from it but I am trying to make a difference each and every day - I am trying to be better - I am trying to repent daily and weekly and move on - move forward. & I have to say I have inner happiness an inner peace an inner strength an innner power that I have never fully experienced before and I desire to stay here! I desire to use my time on Earth to help others to be available to be on the Lord's errand whereever and whenever He needs me!

    Which leads me to love this quote at the beginning .. 'Such faith can transform an individual’s life from maudlin, common everyday activities to a symphony of joy and happiness.' I love the symphony!

    I would also want them to know that doesn't mean every day is easy, it doesn't mean my life is perfect, and that nothing bad ever happens to me. Not at all - but my inner self is happier and stronger than ever before despite the mortal experience of being affected by the seasons of life.

    I love how Elder Scott so beautifully intertwines our building of faith which builds great character. It seems that character is the essence of how we conduct our lives and truly show ourselves, others, and the Lord how much faith we really have, and in whom we have it in. This really is a great talk!

    I especially love the ending paragraph, a pep talk with a blessing!
    If you have determined to live righteously, don’t become discouraged. Life may seem difficult now, but hold on tightly to that iron rod of truth. You are making better progress than you realize. Your struggles are defining character, discipline, and confidence in the promises of your Father in Heaven and the Savior as you consistently obey Their commandments. May the Holy Ghost prompt you to always make decisions that fortify your character and yield much joy and happiness.
    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica...I love you dearly for chosing this talk! I have a confession to make-- I don't remember this talk at all from listening to conference. There is something about Elder Scott's voice that sends me into a trance and I can't really grasp what he is saying until I read it over again. So, I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to read through this talk and be so inspired by this message. There is A LOT in there and I feel like I need to read it another ten times, but these are my initial thoughts.

    I love it when apostles teach us how to use principles of the gospel as something that can have actual power to influence our lives. Elder Scott talks about how it is easy to understand things on an intellectual level, but these principles won't have any real significance in our life until they become a living part of who we are. An added bonus is that our children can see us implementing faith, prayer, love, humility, etc. and will see the incredible blessings that follow (similar to what Cecia was talking about).

    I have always felt really strongly about building character, and I loved the following quote..."We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day."
    As I was growing up, I was very conscious of every decision that I made and the consequences of those decisions. I always wondered why other people could make bad decisions, but my conscience would never let me waiver. I know now that the Lord was preparing me for trials that I would face as an adult. I know that all of those small decisions fortified me for times when it would have been really easy to justfy giving up. My testimony of my Savior has NEVER been shaken and I have always had the assurance that He is there.

    This is another beautiful quote...
    "As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not obtain otherwise. With even your strongest faith, God will not always reward you immediately according to your desires. Rather, God will respond with what in His eternal plan is best for you, when it will yield the greatest advantage. Be thankful that sometimes God lets you struggle for a long time before that answer comes. That causes your faith to increase and your character to grow."
    I have seen this principle in action over the last year of my life...not really knowing where we would be or what our future would hold. I have prayed and prayed for answers that have taken A LONG TIME to come. I still haven't receieved answers to some things. BUT...I have faith that God is aware of me and my family and He knows what is best for us.

    As Cecia mentioned, I love the last paragraph and the incredible pep-talk from Elder Scott. As I was reading the talk, I felt a little overwhelmed...but he ends by reminding us that we are all making more progress than we realize.

    What I really want for Christmas...is to have Emily, Tammy, Janis, and Jessica share their feeling about this amazing talk as well. I feel like we are all in a stage of transition right now (minus Cecia) and this is something that could really bless all of our lives. I love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cecia beautiful comments!!! Kenon I was busting up cuz I too go into the trance with that calm soothing voice. I have read this talk so many times this week and have been so overwhelmed with how many deep doctrinal points there are to discuss I couldn't choose. Who knew?
    So decided to just pick a few.

    One of my favorites was 
    "Common everyday actvities turn into a symphony of joy and happiness"
    I went through a divorce last year. I lived 10 min from the beach, got to stay home with my kids, go sailing, take them to theme parks, travel the world, etc. It was a great life. Right now I live with my parents, am a single mom, work full time, a mom full time, and get to date again. :) this experience of having all my security and outward life stripped left me with nothing but my kids, extended family, friends, and God. I have never felt more peace in my life because all I have is so simple that it is those common everyday activities that fill me with joy peace and happiness now. Every time we laugh as a family, I am grateful. Anytime there is a hug or expression of love I am filled. I have never felt more joy or peace so fully.

    Another favorite quote was "character is the bedrock of faith" 
    I lost my faith in God last year. I was hurt, really hurt! I remember giving a vt message on faith and my comp asked me to add my thoughts on faith. I remember saying, " you know I don't really have any faith right now." I was struggling. I made a choice to pray, go to the temple, do my calling, live the commandments. Slowly but surely it came back until a few months ago and now it is stronger than ever. He spoke so much on obedience and I testify that my faith was built on obedience and character is the bedrock of faith!!!!

    I was talking to a friend and he shared that years ago he was stressed, breaking out in hives, anxiety etc. It was at that time he decided to put full faith and Trust in God. Since that point has never felt more peace and never had a problem with health or anxiety since. 

    I wish I could say the same. Good old PMS still gives me a bit of a tailspin. However I can say that through exercising faith through obedience I too have felt more joy peace and happiness than I ever could have imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello all,
    Merry Christmas! I hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas season.
    I have listened to this talk probably 10 times with the intent of writing my thoughts down after and every time something else pulls me away. So finally here it is...

    This is most definitely a transition time for me/us. I doubt most of you know that over the last year our company has really struggled. We have lost A LOT of money from very unethical and dishonest people choosing to not pay us. This has lead us to evaluate if this is something we still want to be a part of or if we should go in a different direction. We have chosen the latter. So with very little income over the last year and nothing new for Winterton Associates on the table we are job hunting...
    However, strangely enough I have felt much peace through out this time. Yes at first I was very worried and unnerved. But as time has moved on My faith has increased, I know my Heavenly Father knows our need and he will help us as we continue to do our part, as well as follow the commandments. This quote impressed me -
    "A strong testimony gives peace, comfort, and assurance. It generates the conviction that as the teachings of the Savior are consistently obeyed, life will be beautiful, the future will be secure, and there will be capacity to overcome the challenges that cross our path."
    I feel like my future will be secure if I continue to put my faith in Christ.
    I also like this about couples that enter the temple and make covenants-

    "They recognize that when the challenges intended to be growth opportunities come, they will find ways, as prompted by the Holy Ghost, to overcome them in ways that are productive and character building."

    I am definitely in character building mode :)

    Every time I listened to this talk I waited to hear this part. I need to be what I want to become- take charge don't wait around for it to happen.
    "We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day. Righteous character is a precious manifestation of what you are becoming. "

    The next quote ties into the Previous quote very nicely it is how I am feeling. I was just released as Primary President where I have been nice and comfy for 3+ years and I am a Gospel Doctrine teacher which seems way out of what I am capable to do. But with the Lord's help I know I can accomplish all that he asks of me. I this is the push I needed to extend my self and grow.
    "You cannot be passive in life, or in time the natural man will undermine your efforts to live worthily. You become what you do and what you think about. Lack of character leads one under pressure to satisfy appetite or seek personal gain. You cannot successfully bolster a weak character with the cloak of pretense."

    what a great talk and I appreciate all the inward looking that Elder Scott initiates in his talks. I love you all this is a very special blessing to be a part of. I really miss you Kennon and Jessica :) Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are awesome Tammy...you guys will be just fine. I loved reading your comments. I miss you guys so much!!

    ReplyDelete