Monday, January 17, 2011

Elder Holland from 2009, Truth of the Book of Mormon


Talk #8-Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, October 2009 Sunday Afternoon Session


This weeks talk is not from this past session of Conference - but from a year earlier. I normally wouldn't advocate going to another session for talks, as we have so many wonderful ones to explore from our most recent session of Conference. But today as I was running this was the talk that I listened to and it was so edifying, so touching, and so powerful - that I felt it needed to be listened/viewed by all and hopefully we can all draw closer to the teachings that our Father in Heaven would have us know by truly loving the words and teachings within our most precious Book of Mormon.

I encourage you all to feast on this talk this week with me and I would love to be then taught by what the Spirit testifies to you ... what did you hear when you listened to Elder Holland's words?

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful women! I do hope that you take some time to really listen to the words of Elder Holland and then share what the spirit spoke to you. This is a very impressive talk shared by a very impressive Apostle of the Lord.
    I don't even know where to begin ... I guess I will share my feelings. I love Elder Holland - I love how he takes the opportunity to bear his testimony to the world about the truthfulness and his love of the Book of Mormon.
    I have loved how my life is impacted when I read the Book of Mormon - I get closer to my Savior each time I complete my reading of the Book of Mormon. It is a sweet blessing to look back and notice that for myself - at the end of the Book of Mormon I keep a record of the date that I finished the Book of Mormon and what was happening in my life at the time. And it truly is special to see how my life has been changed and how I have grown each and every time. There is power in the Book of Mormon - learning the teachings of God through the account of the people that wrote down their experiences and their revelations.
    I am glad to have this book - I am glad to draw closer to my Savior through reading it - I am glad to be given more direction so that I can do all I can to keep the commandments- to repent- and desire to follow Him!

    What did the Spirit speak to me? To a) stay holding on to the Iron Rod - despite the mist of darkness - hold on to TRUTH!!! Don't be deceived - follow what I know to be true.

    b) I need to do a mormon.org profile - I need to share my testimony as Nephi did - to encourage others that know me - that I know the words of Christ - and that is what gives me light!
    Facebook might be a great medium to share my light too ... uncertain still on that one - but I do want to look for opportunities to share my testimony of the Book of Mormon.

    C) I would like to encourage others to read it - really read it. Tonight as I read to my kids in 3 Ne - we were at my most favorite part when the Savior blesses the children one by one - I enjoyed sharing my testimony with my kids that they matter to the Savior and to Heavenly Father - that if he was in our home he would bless each of them one by one as he did the Nephite children.

    I love the Gospel, I love the opportunity to read from this sacred book daily, and I love that through this sacred book there lies within power to keep me and my family safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the gym right now. Just listened to the talk and then you posted your comment as he said, "Amen." Can't wait to post my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I remember how strong I felt the spirit the first time I heard that talk. Amazing. My two favorite parts were his description of light and dark in the tree of life dream and today. And also when he describes Hyrum and Joseph in their last few moments staying true to their beliefs knowing they would leave their wives as widows and children fatherless. What a huge statement and sacrifice!!! Ihave Bern confronted recently with so many moral and ethical issues as I have entered the Real Estate world. What an example of truth and doing what is right in the face of adversity. So grateful to have this opportunity to read and discuss!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently this is the "Cecia & Kenon show"...but I am hopeful that the rest of our peeps will come out of the darkness and join us. :)

    This may be my all-time favorite conference talk. I remember listening to it the first time...jaw-dropped. It is so powerful.
    When I listened to it this time, I tried to focus on the first half. I tried to hear the message he was trying to teach us leading up to the amazing second half. He pointed out that EVERYONE was effected by the midst of darkness. The strong and the weak. We can't ever become "comfortable" because this life is hard and you never know what is coming. Our strength comes from holding on (tightly) to the iron rod...which is the scriptures.
    My testimony of the Book of Mormon may be the strongest aspect of my testimony. When I was pregnant with Tyler I decided that I needed to read the Book of Mormon every year of my life to be able to be the kind of mom I wanted to be. Since then, I have been able to fulfill that goal(it's not too hard...12 months is a long time). :) That one goal has sustained me through every trial. It has given me strength, comfort, peace, answers, and direction. The Book of Mormon can teach us everything we need to know to be successful and happy in this life. I love it so much and I can't imagine what my life would be without it.
    Elder Holland's testimony and his words about the prophet Joseph Smith stirred something in my soul, and continues to have that same effect every time I hear it. This book is the word of God. In each of our homes, we have this amazing gift to lead our families. Joseph Smith gave his life because he knew that it was true. I would be willing to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a guest on the Cecia and Kenon Hour, I wish I could make some earth shattering contribution to this blog, unfortunately I can’t. Maybe it’s because I’m a newbie. Admittedly, I have a lot to learn and I sure as heck don’t want to offend anyone, but is Elder Holland stating the obvious? I guess I have a hard time believing that anyone would question the authenticity of the Book of Mormon. I am so fortified by what I know of the Book of Mormon that I can’t imagine anyone turning away from this great gift that has been given to us by our Father in heaven.

    Although I love the gospel on good days, we are less apt to question God’s plan until we are desperate. Generally, we skip along able to bear the daily small bumps in the road that we are exasperated by, but there are events that are so horrible we lock them away in our minds comforted that if we do not consider them, they will not happen. Then somehow, cruelly, we experience devastation, something nightmarish that our minds can’t begin to sort out. Something that begins to swallow us, something that breaks our will to go on. These tragedies happen, happen to all of us. We are sent to the most devastatingly bleak caverns of our soul. This is where our grip of the iron rod is tested.

    I envy Joseph and Hyrum Smith’s complete faith, not only for themselves, but also for the families for whom they feel such passionate love. I so identify with this because the worst thing in the world that I would want to do is be without the people I love. That is exactly why one of my bleakest hours was when I realized my divorce was imminent. I had to give up someone I loved and I thought I would never see another bright day. The only thing that could unwrap me from the sorrow I felt was the love of God. Thankfully, God came to me. He provided comfort for me; he has even shown me that I needed this event. He guided me to the gospel and has reassured me that I am living his plan for me. I am thankful for God’s love and teachings because without them I would be lost.

    I guess I thought that once you know the Book of Mormon you wouldn’t give it up. I suppose my naivety is more extensive than I knew. I know that I will be tested. I know that I am not in control of what life will present to me. Therefore, I accept this talk as a personal warning that I must hold the iron rod and stay close to God because his love will not fail me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As all of you this is a very amazing, touching and powerful talk. it pulls at my heart and soul. I Feel the Holy Ghost Testifying that this man is a true disciple of Christ and that everything he is testifying of is true. I am again brought to the idea of the Heart. I do not want my heart to fail me- I want the desires of my heart to be to follow my savior. to answer his call of "come follow me" And this stems with the power of the Book of Mormon and it's truthfulness.

    Yes- very Powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore EACH & EVERY one of you! Thank you so much for being willing to share your thoughts and your tender feelings and experiences with all of us! Liz, I was greatly touched by your comment - and I am so grateful to have read it - you impress me and I love you!

    I wonder if this happens to you all - but the day after I make my post it seems like I just get clobbered by darkness - a true spiritual assault - it is almost like I take a stand, I define my testimony, and raise my flag and the enemy sees it and decides to attack. ... good thing is though - TRUTH ALWAYS wins! & Even though the attack is unleashed, through the power of our Savior Jesus Christ - Satan is cast away and I find peace once again. I hope that this doesn't happen to you all - but in case it does - you are not alone and I hope that we can all band together! Stay strong - keep raising our flags of righteousness and say 'bring it' come what may, come mist of darkness - I have the Iron Rod to hold on to - and I am HOLDING TIGHT!!!
    Go team - I love you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete