Monday, January 24, 2011

Elder Oaks on the Personal & Priesthood Lines of Communcation


Talk #9-Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Sunday Morning Session

Two Lines of Communication

Our Heavenly Father has given His children two lines of communication with Him—what we may call the personal line and the priesthood line. All should understand and be guided by both of these essential lines of communication.

1 comment:

  1. It seems as if the beginning of 2011 has been a little busy for us! and guess what - that is A-OK!!!! We all still love eachother and love the Gospel - we just have demanding lives.
    I imagine most of you out there - like me have listened to this talk - if not once ~ numerous times, and just haven't sat down to post your comments. Well no worries - I do say though - that I excited to be sitting down and making my post!
    I have absolutely loved the focus that has been shed on the power of the Holy Ghost both in this talk and in many others and so recently in my scripture study. I truly am getting hit over the head so to speak with this divine truth - that we have a member of the Godhead with us whenever and wherever in our everyday lives - and not just 'cause we are cute ... BUT BECAUSE a Priesthood ordinance took place where through the Priesthood of Jesus Christ we were given the gift through laying on of hands. Through Priesthood power - we were given the Holy Ghost and we will always have it - IF we accept Him and retain him ...
    The part of the talk that struck me each and every time I listened to it was near the beginning ... "The direct, personal channel of communication to our Heavenly Father through the Holy Ghost is based on worthiness" ... no this may seem harsh and it definitely is a reminder to me to do right - to be obedient - but then the mercy of a loving Heavenly Father comes in and He provides a way for us to grow through life's experiences including life's mistakes as we repent AND ... Elder Oaks continues "and is so essential that we are commanded to renew our covenants by partaking of the sacrament each Sabbath day. In this way we qualify for the promise that we may always have His Spirit to be with us, to guide us."
    See there is a weekly way to be clean once again - worthy to have a member of the Godhead with us. Truly beautiful!

    This is again explained by Elder Oaks...
    "The gift of the Holy Ghost—the means of communication from God to man—is conferred by priesthood authority as authorized by those holding priesthood keys. It does not come merely by desire or belief. And the right to the continuous companionship of this Spirit needs to be affirmed each Sabbath as we worthily partake of the sacrament and renew our baptismal covenants of obedience and service."

    I truly appreciate learning and understanding more and more the Power of the Priesthood and that this truly is the Power given to us by Jesus Christ. I love being able to attend church that is guided by the Priesthood ... I am so grateful as with Elder Oaks as he concludes
    "We must use both the personal line and the priesthood line in proper balance to achieve the growth that is the purpose of mortal life. If personal religious practice relies too much on the personal line, individualism erases the importance of divine authority. If personal religious practice relies too much on the priesthood line, individual growth suffers. The children of God need both lines to achieve their eternal destiny. The restored gospel teaches both, and the restored Church provides both."

    I am surely grateful for my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I am super grateful for the ordinance of Baptism that is followed by receiving my most dear companion, the Holy Ghost!
    Love you all!
    --Cecia

    ReplyDelete