Monday, February 21, 2011

Elder Andersen speaks, 'Never Leave Him'


Talk #10 -Elder Neil L. Andersen, Saturday Afternoon Session


This is a post from Kenon. Hopefully we can all take a moment this week to listen, learn, and comment on this wonderful talk.

"As you choose not to be offended or ashamed, you will feel His love and approval. You will know that you are becoming more like Him."

6 comments:

  1. This is a good one girls. I just read it, and plan on listening to it tomorrow. I hope you can all take some time to listen to it this week. I am excited to hear your thoughts. I am also BITTER that some of you got to hang out this week without me. BUT...Emily and I did have a girl's night out last weekend. :) I love you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELP!!!
    This talk focuses on two dangers that can effect everyone...even the "strong ones". These dangers are being ashamed and offended.

    The part that spoke to me was about getting offended. I tend to think of myslef as someone that is not easily offended, but lately I have had a few things happen that have made me upset. I feel like I am constantly evaluating in my mind whether or not my feelings are justified, and what the Lord wants me to do to resolve my feelings. I really enoyed some of the things that Elder Andersen said...

    "I promise you, as you choose not to be offended or ashamed, you will feel His love and approval. You will know that you are becoming more like Him.
    Will we understand everything? Of course not. We will put some issues on the shelf to be understood at a later time.
    Will everything be fair? It will not. We will accept some things we cannot fix and forgive others when it hurts.
    Will we feel separated on occasion from those around us? Absolutely."

    So...I need some of your opinions on this subject. If someone does something to you that is obviously wrong, what is the Lord's expectation of us? Are we allowed to be upset, or are we required to forgive and forget on the spot? Should we apologize...even when that apology isn't sincere because our feelings are still hurt? Are we ever supposed to hold people accountable...or is that something that we should set aside and leave to Heavenly Father?

    I feel like forgivness has takes time for it to be sincere, but it's very difficult when the other person doesn't want to participate in the process. I have been able to forgive a lot of really hard things in my life, but it usually takes me some time. At this point, I am trying REALLY hard to do the right thing and figure out how Heavenly Father wants me to live my life.
    I know that you are all just about perfect, so I am counting on you for some fabulous advice on this subject...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watched this talk On Monday morning with the Sister Missionaries before I knew this was the talk posted so I had already begun thinking about it. I think this is a very down to earth talk. Very basic concepts that are so hard to follow or fulfill- or maybe to live. I think being offended and/or being ashamed can often be linked to pride. I think when we are offended or our feelings are hurt it becomes a matter of pride. We want to be right or we want things to be a certain way, our way. Instead we need to remember that it is the Lord's way. That being said- I want to distinguish a bit from being offended and then allowing that to weaken our testimony and ultimately damaging our relationship with our Savior. which is what I think Elder Andersons talk focuses on, and the day to day experiences when we might get offended by someone that doesn't affect our testimony or our standing in the church.
    My dear sweet Kenon, this is coming from someone that is so far from perfect-but maybe it can help. You are so good, you are trying so hard to do what is right and to do the right thing. I know that you have prayed over this because it seems that it is really bothering you. I believe that if you are honest with yourself you could realize that you could forgive this person and maybe you already have. I think there is a big difference between forgiveness and trust. Just because you are still feeling hurt does not mean you cannot forgive. When someone betrays your trust or your friendship there must be a time of healing and rebuilding. Repentance and forgiveness doesn't necessarily mean things will automatically be back to the way things were before the instance. Especially if it seems one sided. You have such a big heart and I think that as long as you are focused on what you think the Savior wants you to do, which is to forgive, then you are on the right path. I do believe we are allowed to feel hurt(we are here to experience joy as well as pain) as long as that pain doesn't allow us to become prideful and unwilling to take the steps necessary to repent and forgive. and then Ultimately find peace. I am sorry you are going through this trial but I know that Heavenly Father knows your heart. Don't over think it!! You are so amazing and I miss you terribly.
    One closing thought. Today the Bishop issued us a challenge to hand out one new Mormon.org pass along card this week. What a great opportunity this is for me to not be ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wonderful friends and especially my dear sweet Kenon! Thank you for offering up your questioning and extremely humble heart. You, Kenon, truly are an example to us all - on not only being wonderful but being willing to reach out to us and let us into your inner heart when things aren't perfect. Thank you for the opportunity to teach you - while we are all the ones that are truly taught!

    I too loved ... "Will we understand everything? Of course not. We will put some issues on the shelf to be understood at a later time.

    Will everything be fair? It will not. We will accept some things we cannot fix and forgive others when it hurts.

    Will we feel separated on occasion from those around us? Absolutely."

    Life is hard, especially when we are experiencing it in a mortal world - where Satan is working OVERTIME to cause havoc, pain, and distress! All have the ability to act for themselves and the adversary is out to deceive, and destroy good - and unfortunately the tactics are often successful and people make mistakes - they hurt us - and people suffer because of it.

    This of course is nothing new - but it does help to be reminded of great people (like yourself Kenon) who are hurt and choose to go forward inspite of it. Of course the Savior. Also Joseph Smith, WOW! Today I read the Joseph Smith History at the end of the Pearl of Great Price-
    http://lds.org/scriptures/pgp/js-h/1?lang=eng
    - truly a beautiful account of our great prophet - who was treated unfairly, who was betrayed, who was hurt over and over and over and over again. But what an example of staying true to the Gospel and going forward always even those those around him didn't always do their part. As I read Oliver Cowdery's words on the last page of the account - I couldn't help but think that they were so applicable here ...
    "Man may deceive his fellow-men, deception may follow deception, and the children of the wicked one may have power to seduce the foolish and untaught, ...; but one touch with the finger of his love, yes, one ray of glory from the upper world, or one word from the mouth of the Savior, from the bosom of eternity, strikes it all into insignificance, and blots it forever from the mind."

    The Power of our Savior Jesus Christ - CAN and WILL if we allow it to through the atonement can heal the hurt, can move the mountain of pain, and fill the valley of anguish.

    So...what is the Lord's expectation of us? To be as little children, to be willing to subdue the natural man, to give the other cheek, to be patient, kind, loving, submissive, slow to anger ... We are asked to forgive and forgive again and again.
    ... We should pray to have the fillings of forgiveness be sincere.
    ... and it is the Lord's design that He is the judge but He asks us to forgive all men. In fact he 'requires' us to forgive. Doctrine and Covenants 64:10
    I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.

    The word that struck me from Elder Andersen's talk was 'willing'. Again am I perfect no, but tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life and I can be more perfect every day! I like this as our guide ... We need the believing heart of a child.

    Through the power of His Atonement, we are to become “as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon [us], even as a child doth submit to his father.” This is the mighty change of heart.

    Kenon I know you can and will do this if you haven't already! I am grateful for the opportunity to read the words of Joseph Smith, Olivery Cowdery and Neil Andersen today and have the Spirit teach me. Thank you Kenon! I love you and I love all of you wonderful women! Thank you for being true sisters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving your comments, but just to clarify...I am not under duress or having any serious trauma. :) These are just some things that have been going through my mind lately and I wanted your fabulous input.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We know Kenon - of course we know that you are doing well and that you aren't under serious trauma - but you did write HELP in capital letters ... with THREE exclamation points ... with that kind of writing I was about to send you a floral bouquet or a singing telegram, you know a guy dressed up like a banana to make everything better - for sure had you put FOUR exclamation points - that would have happened!

    Truly though Kenon - thanks for giving me the forum to learn some valuable truths today about offense and forgiveness - as I listen, think, type ... I truly learn and am taught - again MUCH MORE FOR ME than for you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete