... we take a conference talk - one a week and we read it and discuss it on this site. New conference talk starts on Monday - and finishes up on Sunday. Multiple thoughts are encouraged, examples of how this talk has been meaningful to you ... in general & throughout the week. Most of all we have fun exploring the Conference Talks and learning and sharing from great friends!!!!
Elder Eyring loves the Lord! & He loves serving people - it just shines right through him and all around him - he truly is an example of love! I enjoyed this talk for the simple truths .. that we need to trust in God and that it IS a safe path to choose - He truly is trustworthy and capable of ALL! I love the part of the story with Peter where he DID WALK ON THE WATER! That is the best part - it did happen when he did trust in the Lord. .... so when we do our part - the Lord will do His! ... a simple truth - this 'trust comes from knowing God' ... I like this!
What is interesting about that story is Peter had the faith at the beginning- then lost his faith when he got distracted by the mortal view - and then who does he call out to save him??? He calls on the Lord - so again his trust was in the Lord - and maybe just not in himself. Hmmm ... maybe at times I don't struggle with trusting in the Lord, but rather I struggle with trusting in myself as I follow and heed every counsel of the Lord. The Lord I know doesn't fail me ... but I unfortunately know that I do fail ... maybe that is the real moment when we realize that we have the ability to access the Lord and we are worthy of his trust in us. When we believe enough in our selves and we gain/exhibit that courage to heed the counsel of our loving Father and Savior!
Which also brings me to the other thought that I had from this talk - as we have wonderful Apostles and messengers from the Lord directing us and giving us counsel - am I doing everything that I have been asked to do? I want to follow every direction I am given - but do I know what I am being asked to do - and do I have the courage to actually do it. ... to my mind is coming a few things, Visiting Teaching, journals, Family History work, 3 month supply preparation ... I could always do better.
I desire to follow the servants of the Lord & I am grateful for this talk and all of the talks that teach me those things that He would have me do! I desire to trust in Him, trust in myself, and to go and do! Love you ladies!
First of all, I love Elder Eyring. He speaks with so much humility and power. I feel the spirit SO strongly every time I hear him speak.
I was also struck by the story of Peter. He was already walking on the water when he started to lose his faith. It made me think about how many miracles I have seen in my lifetime, and how often I forget (even for a second) the impact of those experiences.
"The young Nephi in the Book of Mormon stirs in us a desire to develop trust in the Lord to obey His commandments, however hard they appear to us."
That is so true. Every time I read about Nephi, I want him to come hang out with my boys and be an influence in their lives. Can you imagine someone that was so young having such a vision of what was really important? His dedication and obedience is such an inspiration to me.
"That trust comes from knowing God."
That is where our effort comes into play. Trust is earned through developing a relationship, and it is our responsiblity to seek out that relationship with the Lord and learn everything we can about Him.
Joseph Smith had COMPLETE TRUST, and was given an incredible miracle. Not only did he have complete trust, but he was willing to go and do whatever the Lord asked of him. As I listened to this talk today it made me grateful for the trials I have had in my life that have helped me develop that trust in my Savior. It reminded me of a time when it was hard for me to trust anything or anyone, and this song touched my heart in a way that nothing else could at that time. (if the link doesn't work you might have you cut and paste it) Love you all! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Gj8-vB1q4
One more thing...I have to brag about my amazing son. Tyler found the March Madness schedule in our church bag and decided to do it again this year. He is already half-way through Mosiah. He is such a stud...and way more on top of life than his mom. :)
I love this talk!!! My favorite part was about paying off their mortgage debt. And how when we just have the smallest DESIRE to follow the prophet, put trust in HIS words and commandments- we are blessed. I have listened to it several times and when Elder Eyring chokes up during this story I get choked up too. At a time when all of our friends were spending big and buying homes, president Hinckley was counseling us to get out of debt. I wanted a house so badly and we could afford it but not wanting to get into that much debt. I was SO grateful when it came time to divorce that I would take all of that savings as opposed to credit card debt and short selling my home. I was able to regroup and get stable.when I hear that story it reminds me- I can trust him. He is there!
Elder Eyring loves the Lord! & He loves serving people - it just shines right through him and all around him - he truly is an example of love!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this talk for the simple truths .. that we need to trust in God and that it IS a safe path to choose - He truly is trustworthy and capable of ALL! I love the part of the story with Peter where he DID WALK ON THE WATER! That is the best part - it did happen when he did trust in the Lord. .... so when we do our part - the Lord will do His! ... a simple truth - this 'trust comes from knowing God' ... I like this!
What is interesting about that story is Peter had the faith at the beginning- then lost his faith when he got distracted by the mortal view - and then who does he call out to save him??? He calls on the Lord - so again his trust was in the Lord - and maybe just not in himself.
Hmmm ... maybe at times I don't struggle with trusting in the Lord, but rather I struggle with trusting in myself as I follow and heed every counsel of the Lord. The Lord I know doesn't fail me ... but I unfortunately know that I do fail ... maybe that is the real moment when we realize that we have the ability to access the Lord and we are worthy of his trust in us. When we believe enough in our selves and we gain/exhibit that courage to heed the counsel of our loving Father and Savior!
Which also brings me to the other thought that I had from this talk - as we have wonderful Apostles and messengers from the Lord directing us and giving us counsel - am I doing everything that I have been asked to do? I want to follow every direction I am given - but do I know what I am being asked to do - and do I have the courage to actually do it.
... to my mind is coming a few things, Visiting Teaching, journals, Family History work, 3 month supply preparation ... I could always do better.
I desire to follow the servants of the Lord & I am grateful for this talk and all of the talks that teach me those things that He would have me do! I desire to trust in Him, trust in myself, and to go and do!
Love you ladies!
First of all, I love Elder Eyring. He speaks with so much humility and power. I feel the spirit SO strongly every time I hear him speak.
ReplyDeleteI was also struck by the story of Peter. He was already walking on the water when he started to lose his faith. It made me think about how many miracles I have seen in my lifetime, and how often I forget (even for a second) the impact of those experiences.
"The young Nephi in the Book of Mormon stirs in us a desire to develop trust in the Lord to obey His commandments, however hard they appear to us."
That is so true. Every time I read about Nephi, I want him to come hang out with my boys and be an influence in their lives. Can you imagine someone that was so young having such a vision of what was really important? His dedication and obedience is such an inspiration to me.
"That trust comes from knowing God."
That is where our effort comes into play. Trust is earned through developing a relationship, and it is our responsiblity to seek out that relationship with the Lord and learn everything we can about Him.
Joseph Smith had COMPLETE TRUST, and was given an incredible miracle. Not only did he have complete trust, but he was willing to go and do whatever the Lord asked of him. As I listened to this talk today it made me grateful for the trials I have had in my life that have helped me develop that trust in my Savior. It reminded me of a time when it was hard for me to trust anything or anyone, and this song touched my heart in a way that nothing else could at that time. (if the link doesn't work you might have you cut and paste it) Love you all!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Gj8-vB1q4
One more thing...I have to brag about my amazing son. Tyler found the March Madness schedule in our church bag and decided to do it again this year. He is already half-way through Mosiah. He is such a stud...and way more on top of life than his mom. :)
ReplyDeleteI love this talk!!! My favorite part was about paying off their mortgage debt. And how when we just have the smallest DESIRE to follow the prophet, put trust in HIS words and commandments- we are blessed. I have listened to it several times and when Elder Eyring chokes up during this story I get choked up too.
ReplyDeleteAt a time when all of our friends were spending big and buying homes, president Hinckley was counseling us to get out of debt. I wanted a house so badly and we could afford it but not wanting to get into that much debt. I was SO grateful when it came time to divorce that I would take all of that savings as opposed to credit card debt and short selling my home. I was able to regroup and get stable.when I hear that story it reminds me- I can trust him. He is there!