Talk #13 - Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Sunday Afternoon Session
Friends! I know I for one need a kick start into studying the conference talks given to us in April - and as I was listening to conference this talk jumped out at me as a great talk - that defines 'the how' of how Conference Talks come to be .. and it spoke to me as a great one to get re-started with for this next period of time.
My hope is that you will be able to make time for studying a talk a week - whether it be our talk or others ... but I would love to read your thoughts - as I learn and am strengthened so much by you all! Love you dearly!!
Thanks Cecia for getting us going again!!!
ReplyDeleteHere is my favorite quote
“Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” 13 What was gentle in the lowlands of initial loyalty becomes deeply strenuous and very demanding at the summit of true discipleship. Clearly anyone who thinks Jesus taught no-fault theology did not read the fine print in the contract!
I have loved studying the Savior in Sunday School this year. Getting answers for how to use His example to respond differently in all situations in my life. It is strenuous to change and demanding to study and become humble enough to look at how He does it and follow Him.
Although i also get a high off of it. It feels like the endorphin high I get after a work out at the gym but for my soul. Change is hard, change takes time, but change feels good and I am so grateful to have the gospel and the Savior in my life to guide me.
What do you think he meant by "no-fault theology?"
I love this talk! Elder Holland is so awesome. I really love the insight into the lives of the apostles. I have thought a lot about the trials they each face in their own families, and how they are expected to juggle that with their church service. That makes their sacrifice even more real to me.
ReplyDeleteI also love how he emphasized that conference focuses on moving forward with hope and faith. There is always so much joy and love in all of the messages. It seems like those messages always come at just the right time...to remind me of all the good things life has to offer.
I was sitting in RS the other day thinking about all of the "demands" of the gospel. There is a lot we are expected to do. At times it can feel overwhelming, but thankfully our Heavenly Father knew that we would have to live to a much higher standard to be able to survive (and thrive) in the world as it is right now. I think that the "no-fault theology" refers to the idea that we don't have to take respinsablity for the things we don't do. I am grateful for the belief that I WILL be held accountable. That is what pushes me to try harder every day to be a true disciple of Christ.
I was also grateful for Elder Holland's testimony of President Monson. I feel like he must carry a huge burden (from many of the comments that have been made in the last few conferences) and I am so grateful for his attitude and his sacrifice in our behalf. I am also thankful that his family has supported him in this service for the last 50 YEARS!
My mind has been with the Sanchez family constantly and I know they are being comforted by these messages as well. I love you all.
Love Elder Holland!!! Love his faith - love his message - and love his LOVE of us and LOVE the Savior Jeasus Christ - and his LOVE of service!
ReplyDeleteIn regards to Nofault theology - which I just love! - I like the imagery he uses that the path of discipleship ascends up a mountain - as we strive to reach him in all his 'high glory' we have to work harder - and the trail narrows and our knees become so weak that we will literally fall at his feet and acknowledge that "Jesus is the Christ and that salvation can only come His way" ... not the easy way - but the refined way - the way that shapes, molds, and defines us as His. Truly as we battle life in our own personal ways - those battle experiences do make us more like him.
I have been reading the New Testament - and loving it - and I just marvel at how it wasn't easy for the Savior - he was always busy, always pressed for his time, always teaching, and re-teaching the same principles over and over - his life was not 'easy' and he is the most perfect, the most loved ... it truly does make me (or at least I am attempting to learn to be) grateful for what I have and not so impatient when life is hard or not exactly as I would choose it to be!
I found this talk to be very insightful ... I especially loved this paragraph on those that prepare for the speaking opportunity in General Conference....
"Perhaps you already know (but if you don’t you should) that with rare exception, no man or woman who speaks here is assigned a topic. Each is to fast and pray, study and seek, start and stop and start again until he or she is confident that for this conference, at this time, his or hers is the topic the Lord wishes that speaker to present regardless of personal wishes or private preferences. Every man and woman you have heard during the past 10 hours of general conference has tried to be true to that prompting. Each has wept, worried, and earnestly sought the Lord’s direction to guide his or her thoughts and expression. And just as Brigham Young saw an angel standing over this place, so do I see angels standing in it. My brethren and sisters among the general officers of the Church will be uneasy with that description, but that is how I see them—mortal messengers with angelic messages, men and women who have all the physical and financial and family difficulties you and I have but who with faith have consecrated their lives to the callings that have come to them and the duty to preach God’s word, not their own."
What humility to speak on what the Lord would have you speak on and what those of us that are listening need to hear - not just on what they are passionate about.
I love that there truly is something for everyone ... and love the quote! -- "I guess President Harold B. Lee put it best years ago when he said that the gospel is “to comfort the afflicted and to afflict the [comfortable].”"
This talk gives me renewed desire to listen to conference to hear what Heavenly Father, our Savior, and the Holy Ghost would have for me to be comforted, to learn intelligence in, and how to be challenged to ascend to the next level as I take steps in my climb to the peak!
I love this Gospel - I love that ancestors before me made it possible that I could be blessed with it yesterday, today, and forever! This is my testimony this Fast Sunday!
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
As always if you wait till the last to respond everyone has already made so many good comments on the same things that touched me. (which isn't a poke at any of you) I feel like Elder Holland was giving us a boost to feel good about what we are doing and to be proud to share the gospel. As well as to inspire us to do better. His heart felt challenges to do things by the Lords way not ours and understanding the deep service that is provided by our beloved Prophet Pres. Monson, and all other General authorities and general Auxiliaries.Knowing that they are regular people with the same challenges as you and me and they are putting the Lord first, helps me to know that I can do the same. I truly felt him speak truth, it was testified to me by the Holy Ghost that everything he said is true. How Magnificent! I want my testimony of the Savior and the Gospel of Jesus Christ to hold the same conviction. Thanks for sharing all you thoughts it helped me to know that in many instances you have similar thoughts and feelings.
ReplyDeletelove you guys!!!