
Talk #14 - Elder Richard G. Scott
The Eternal Blessings of Marriage
Hi, this is Kenon. I LOVE this talk and I thought it would be a fun one to discuss. We have at least one in our group who is looking for that special someone, so this will be a good reminder of what she is looking for. :) For the rest of us, I think it's fun to discuss relationships and how we can improve ourselves to be a better partner to our adoring husbands. :)
I guess I am the only one who wants to talk about love. :) What a sweet talk. It was so personal and sincere. It reminded me of the precious gift that temple marriage has been in my life. When Scott and I were engaged, we had to wait for clearance from the First Presidency to be able to get married in the temple. Many people encouraged us to get married civilly, and be sealed a year later. That was never an option for me. I was willing to wait as long as it took, and I had faith that we would receive permission from the First Presidency. Our sealing was one of the most incredible spiritual experiences I have ever had. It meant so much more because of what we had been through, and the work it took to get there. I knew that the sealing ordinance was the most important part of that day...not the party afterwords. Being an eternal family means everything to me.
ReplyDeleteI loved it when Elder Scott said,
"If you have found someone, you can form an extraordinarily wonderful courtship and marriage and be very, very happy eternally by staying within the bounds of worthiness the Lord has established."
I like it that he said VERY VERY happy. If we live the gospel, we don't have to settle for less than that. We have been given an outline to help us have successful and happy relationships. During my first marriage, I wasn't sure this was possible. I felt like it didn't matter what I did...nothing changed. I am so grateful that the Lord opened my eyes to what was possible. I had to be chastened (before I started dating Scott) and I had to be willing to have hope in a wonderful and happy future. That was SO SCARY for me at that time, but the Lord would not allow me to go on as a Debbie Downer. :)
Elder Scott also talked about our role as mothers...
"As a mother you have been given divine instincts to help you sense your child’s special talents and unique capacities. With your husband you can nurture, strengthen, and cause those traits to flower."
I have seen this so much in my family. Because there was no trust with Dee, I tried to do everything on my own. That DOESN'T WORK. It takes teamwork and trusting in someone else (even if you think you can do it better). I have let go of a lot of my control issues in parenting and made a concerted effort to trust Scott and let him take the lead. I have seen so many miracles watching him with my boys. He has changed their lives and helped them become more than I ever thought possible. I am so blessed to have a righteous priesthood holder in my home.
And to my beloved Emily...
"Some of you may feel lonely and unappreciated and cannot see how it will be possible for you to have the blessings of marriage and children or your own family. All things are possible to the Lord, and He keeps the promises He inspires His prophets to declare. Eternity is a long time. Have faith in those promises and live to be worthy of them so that in His time the Lord can make them come true in your life. With certainty, you will receive every promised blessing for which you are worthy."
I have watched you live a life dedicated to the Savior. You have always been a pillar of light and an example of everything good. I know that the Lord is aware of everything you are going through. He has a plan for you and your boys. He will compensate for EVERYTHING you (and they) have been through. I have no doubt in my mind that you have a wonderful and happy future ahead. Thank you for always being there for me, and for being such an amazing example. I love you and I know that you are working so hard to make a wonderful life for you and your boys. They are so lucky to have you. We are all lucky to know you. The Lord will take care of you.
I'm sorry to ramble on forever, but this is a subject that I am very passionate about. Scott came into my life and changed everything. Most of you didn't know me during the dark times...but they were VERY dark and horrible. I could never have imagined what the Lord had in store for me. I love Scott with every part of my soul.
ReplyDeleteSweet Kenon! I pure love you - and I am in righteous love with Tyler! ... if that sentence doesn't make sense - well it will after you read/listen/watch Elder Scott's talk!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun talk and one that I may have to listen to over and over again ... especially those moments when I get petty and am taking my family for granted!
A couple of impressions I had when listening today - I absolutely loved the part where his wife tells him to play with the kids instead of fixing the washing machine. Then after playing with his kids his little one came up to him in the middle of the night and said "Dad, I love you. You are my best friend.” I am usually a play first - work second kind of person - so it isn't 'hard' for me to play with people - but I was struck with an impression that I often take my kids and their affection for granted. I don't relish the loving - playful times like I need to - because I expect us to be loving and playful - I expect them to think I am wonderful. As I think they are wonderful ... BUT I know I was impressed to stop and play more intently and love them more intently and cherish their hearts linking with mine! The same goes for my husband - I see how he lights up when I play and give him my 'full Cecia funself' - I need to follow that prompting to not take the love we enjoy for granted - but cherish every moment!
Another impression I had is I want to share this talk with my boys when they get home from their missions, are dating, and graduating from college - I want them to be the amazing men Elder Scott speaks of - so that they can truly attract a most beautiful daughter of God. I think that standard holds true for us always - we can only control ourselves - so be our best self - be someone that others want to be around - again back to my previous thought - I need to be someone my hubby and my family want to be around at all times! Don't be sweet only to strangers - be the sweetest and give the best of me to my closest family!
Lastly I love the assurance that families are very much forever - that we will see our loved ones that we are sealed to again! Heavenly Father truly desires for us to be happy and will give us the very best of gifts - sometimes not how we 'would have planned' but he is the Master Planner - so my faith resides in Him!
I love the Gospel and I love love and I love a very loving Father in Heaven who is always encouraging me and prompting me to do a little better - he knows my heart - he knows my desires and he is always there to lift encourage and help me on my way to success!
Thank you Heavenly Father!
Thanks Kenon! That brought tears to my eyes, only because I know....that you know how dark and lonely it can be where I am at. I have listened to this talk so many times and loved feeling his heart. The love for his wife come through his words. I'm grateful for friends that are able to hold that hope and faith for me when I am unable to fully "see" it. I have had so many people this month confirm to me that they see this dream happening for me. I guess Heavenly Father knows my doubts and is sending in reinforcements. :) This has been the same month of breaking up with a great guy, meeting a gazillion superficial guys at the HB singles conference, and topping it off with my date last night who has "supervised visits" with his children. Really? It is bleak out there and going to take a lot of faith and prayers. I'm grateful to have this talk as a "North Star" and friends that encourage and have testimonies!
ReplyDelete